The practice of massage therapy goes back thousands of years to ancient cultures that have used its power for medical benefits. Along with general chiropractic care like Dr. Thomas provides, massage has gained massive momentum over the last 50 years. Public demand and popularity has soared because of its natural healing properties and minimal side effects. We have two massage therapist in our office of which some say give the best massage in Charlotte.
Before you determine that massage is right for your needs, it’s paramound to know what the therapy actually entails. In general, massage consists of pressing, rubbing, and manipulating your skin, muscles, tendons, and ligaments. Patients, when they decide on massage therapy, can choose anything from light stroking to deep pressure massage.
Here are several common massage types:
- Swedish massage – This form of massage is more gentle way to relax and energize you. It uses long strokes, kneading, deep circular movements, vibration, and some tapping techniques.
- Deep massage – Patients usually receive deep massage from chiropractors if they’ve experienced muscle damage from injuries. This technique uses slower, more forceful strokes so our Charlotte, NC specialists can target the deeper layers of muscle and connective tissue.
- Sports massage – As you may have guessed, this massage treatment is often geared toward athletes to help prevent or treat injuries incurred while playing sports.
- Trigger point massage – This treatment focuses on areas of tight muscle fibers that can form in your muscles due to injuries or overuse.
Benefits of Massage
Many people believe that over-the-counter pain medicines are the easiest way to feel better when you’re in pain. Regrettably, the harmful side effects of OTC pain medicines may outweigh that temporary pain relief they give. Getting that pain relief without having to turn to OTC medicine is one of the main reasons more and more patients are turning to massage therapy. In addition, massage therapy can help improve posture, increase circulation, and of course, reduce pain and muscle tension. Here are some additional ailments massage treatment can help with:
- Digestive disorders
- Stress-related insomnia
- Soft tissue strains or injuries